Featured Photo: Streamer Eater on the Clinch

Featured Photo: Streamer Eater on the Clinch

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Stripers Everywhere!!!

The recent heavy rain across Tennessee (at least by normal fall standards) has increased generation releases on area tailwaters.  That means that the rivers that host stripers are killer right now if you want to chase the big fish.  I have seen nice fish on several rivers but the action won't last too long.  Once the water temperatures drop enough the stripers will migrate downstream to calmer waters for the winter.  At that point, varous steam plants across the state will come into focus as striper hot spots. 

All the fish I've caught lately have come on my PB&J shad streamer.  This fly continues to produce well for stripers and also pulls in walleye, largemouth bass, catfish, white bass, hybrids, drum, and just about anything else I throw it at.  The following striper was caught fairly recently and ran about 130 feet before slowing down.  After the initial run, it turned around and ran straight at me all the way to my feet!  Talk about a smart fish...thankfully the hookset was solid, and after a good fight, I was able to get a couple of pictures of the nice fish. 

Joe Mcgroom Photograph 

Joe Mcgroom Photograph

2 comments: