Featured Photo: Native Colors

Featured Photo: Native Colors

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Too Cold

A front was pushing through the area today. This morning it actually felt quite warm out and I was hoping that it would turn out to be a nice day. By the middle of the afternoon, the front had passed and left us with a brisk northwest wind and mostly cloudy skies. I knew right away that no one else would be out fishing today so I headed over to my new fishin' hole to catch some more fish.

After an hour fishing, I'd had enough but not before catching two fish. The wind was a pain to cast in but even worse because it made it feel much colder than it really was. Earlier this winter I fished when it was in the 20's out and my guides were icing up. I actually felt warmer then than I did today. It was all the sweeter because I caught fish on a new pattern I dreamed up the other day. Basically it was a red tag off the back end, wrap orange egg yarn for the body, and then a sparse wing of brown over white bucktail. Of course, I also suspect that warmwater fish are a lot dumber than trout and will eat just about anything so it has yet to be seen if it is a good fish producer. Today could have been a coincidence.


Thankfully, I won't be heading back much more for a couple weeks. That's because I'll be out chasing TROUT which is really my favorite...ahhhhh, spring break!!!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:21 PM

    Don't badmouth the warmwater fish too much - I cut my fishing teeth on bass fishing, and they can get plenty educated in a hurry, if the fishing pressure is high. Now, bream and whatnot can be pretty gullible, and when the conditions are right, so can a lot of the saltwater fish - speckled trout spend the whole summer spawning and eating shrimp, and if you hit them right, you can get a limit in a matter of minutes.

    But, I know what you mean about the trout streams - it's definitely special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ijsouth, I got my start on bass and panfish myself. There still fun on occasion but honestly, I haven't fished warmwater at all the last few years, maybe once a year at most. My recent trips are mainly a product of a lack of time to drive farther and high gas prices. There's just something about trout though that I can't explain, although I'm sure you know what I mean. Trout streams are indeed special as you said...

    ReplyDelete